Friday, December 31, 2010

Dare to Live a Dream

Ok, I got something to share. As I sat here, late on a Friday evening, partied out from the night before, listening to Herbie Hancock, looking through some geeky pictures from a trip for work, I felt compelled to write my feelings. I recently traveled to Houston, TX for work and I must say that it was a very humbling experience. Earthrise: A picture of the Earth taken by astronaut William Anders in 1968 during the Apollo 8 mission, right after going around the Moon. All of us have lived vicariously through the imaginations in our head from dreams we’ve had. I’m not talking about the dreams you get in your sleep, but the greater ones that don’t need sleep. We’ve ALL aspired to do something, or be someone at some point in our life. But I must admit, as time goes by, MOST of us get lost through the hustle and bustle in the game of life, and we slowly let go of those grand thoughts that kept us alive inside, thoughts that have given us sudden bursts of energy, a natural high, an urge to make things happen… just the act of remembering that we had those thoughts long ago gives us some warmth inside, even if it’s very brief. So what does this have to do with my trip to Houston? I traveled to support the repairs of the Hubble Space Telescope. Every day I watched the astronauts get out of the space shuttle airlock and get to work using all types of tools to get the job done, surrounded by the dark gaping mouth of space, with the only signature of life coming from a huge, beautiful, round blue ball, directly below them. During my spare time, I visited the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory where the astronauts trained, inside a huge pool, for every single task that they will face during the repair job in space. I visited Rocket Park, where I saw the Saturn V, the biggest, most powerful rocket ever put into operational use, which launched several missions to the Moon and actually gave us a chance to place our feet in a world outside of ours. Right there, in the midst of all those experiences, I felt it yet again. Many of us know this is simple and true, but few of us dare to live it. A space telescope, a space shuttle, a rocket that can send people to the Moon. All these things were dreams at some point in our history. Today they are a reality, ONLY because someone, somewhere, at some point in time, decided to draw a line and say “NO! I refuse to give up my dreams! Because I believe they are possible! …and I really don’t care what you think!” Someone dared to not only say that, but to actually live it. I write this as a way of pushing my own self to live my dreams. I am at a critical point in life, after working hard in school for a dream, and after being thrown into the “real world” for five years, and counting. I am at a point where I feel like there’s a war going on, and my mind and heart are caught right in the middle of it. My hands are pulling hard, but not hard enough. My fingers are clinging on, but I feel the finger tips slowly giving away valuable millimeters of space. I can’t let this happen. I must fight harder… and so should you. Let’s keep the spirit alive.

oldie but goodie

Posted via email from The EthioRussian's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment